Outdoor Kitchen Foundations
The stone markers in the gravel path are cornerstones which mark the location of the kitchen building. The kitchen measured 16’ x 32’ and was divided into two rooms with a fireplace in each where food was cooked.
In 1835 an inventory of property at the Shadows included “a negro man named frank aged about 50 years and his wife Martha aged about Sixty years…Amos a negro man aged 35 years” and The plantation cook named Charlotte, “a mulatto woman aged 22”
Sometime between 1842 and 1846 Charlotte ran away from the plantation. Eleven years after the first inventory, a second was taken in 1846- she had not been “recovered.”
The two brick structures behind the Shadows are cisterns. Cisterns stored rain water which was transferred from the roof to gutters to the downspout into an underground pipe which fed the cisterns.